You can watch the video of Michelle and Fra covering all the content from their Winter Workshop. Key topics cover are:
Timing and the importance of continuity
- You can use your salsa timing in place or to move in any direction
- Don't stop your dancing to move places on the dance floor! Move in that same pattern to manoeuvre around the floor and then continue dancing
- You can use that same rule to move around in a circle. This is a simple little move that can also be used as a new step pattern for fun! 😁
KEEP IN MIND! You can't do any of this moving around the floor if you and your partner are dancing without a true connection. Let's talk about connection.
- Followers need to 'dance into the palm' of the leader so that you know where they are going
- Leaders need to look for that connection; it makes it easier for you to lead and steer the dance
- Leaders can play around with the amount of rotation and the speed of which you turn on the spot to create a new step
The Open break - What is it?
- Leaders step back on the left foot rather than forward, creating an open position between the couple.
- The leader then moves slightly to the side, clearing the train tracks for the followers to spin past the leader.
- The followers Right turn now becomes a travelling turn moving straight past the leader.
- Practise this on your own down a straight line.
- The leader does a second Open break and moving to the side, leading the follower into an Enchufla Turn (inside turn) into a side step facing a new direction with the follower now behind them,
- Followers also do a second Open Break, into an inside turn, a back rock, and stepping forward behind the leader.
Now we are applying the timing exercise we used at the beginning of the class! 😁
- Leader steps on the place, maintaining our salsa timing
- Followers maintain salsa timing and walk in a circle around the leader
- Finish with a final inside turn for the followers until the couple is into the starting position again
'Windmill' arm styling option for leaders
Something a bit fancy!
Then we do it all from the top!
And from the top with Music... (not quite so fast Michelle!)
And then make sure you throw in a cheeky shimmy for good measure!
And you're done!